Monday, October 23, 2006

where the ducks are

I would like to invite you to a world that only some travel to. It is a place where many are afraid to go because it is deemed 'uncool'. But I would challenge you to join me on a journey to where few go, but to a place of joy, peace, relfection, and life. It is not always easy to find, but when it is found, it is absolutly wonderful. So go to a forest... wander to a stream within that forest... and open your eyes. Go to where the ducks are.
Okay.. so by this point you're probably thinking that this Nyssa girl is crazy. I accept that. But Im being honest here. Going to a place where ducks hang out is great fun.
I write about this today because I finally saw them today... for the first time this season at Tyndale. Ever since I got back to Tyndale in the fall, I've gone on walks to the woods hoping for a glance of some ducks. Dont ask me why I have such a facination with ducks... I just do. They make me happy. Simple as that. But every time I've gone, I've been disappointed because I havnt seen any ducks. But today was a different day. I went for a walk with my camera... it was a beautiful day. I didnt have my hopes up about seeing any ducks... but I thought that I would check just in case.
I went to my regular spot on the bridge because thats been the place in the past fews years where they have dwelt. But they werent there. So I continued on my way down a path that I dont normally take... but today was a different day. As I wandered down a leaf covered trail, I found a little dog. He was a cute little thing. He barked at me then ran away. I noticed that he ran to a place where the trees had fallen and it seemed as if it would be a place of prime photography conditions. So I followed the little guy. I was just looking around this area for photography opportunities when I looked up and to my surprise, there they were. Four ducks. Two male, two female. Just hanging out. It was like I solved a case, I found what I've been looking for. It was a sense of fulfillment.
It's such a simple thing... but it brought so much joy to my day. So what... Im a simple person. Thats okay. I think simplicity is a lost art form in this culture and needs to be found once again.
Now for those of you that actually made it through this blog... congrats. I probably wouldnt have read a blog about some crazy persons love for ducks. So thanks for reading. Be inspired. Go find some ducks!

2 comments:

Leslie Puiras said...

what are you? A hippie?

Hofman said...

Poa, Habari yako?
I miss you, I will in TO Nov 3-5 weekend - I'm hoping to catch a tip-off tournament game. Will you be around?
Nakupenda!
Elea