Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Goodbye Friend

I never thought that it would end this way.
I never thought that Wednesday night would be the last time I would talk with you.
But thank you for reaching out to ask for prayer and support.
It was good to be there to support you and lift you up in prayer whenever you needed it.
And thank you for always being there for me when I needed prayer or to vent.
I'm really going to miss our chats.

I want to remember the good times we had together.
To remember the times when we laughed together.
How you told ridiculous stories that made me laugh so hard that I would cry.
The memories I have of you are beautiful and I will never forget you.

You were full of joy and of life.
You were always there to be an encouragement when I needed it.
I just wish that I could have just been there for you that one step closer.
It makes my heart ache that you had to go through this alone.
I knew you were having a rough go at things, but never even fathomed that your heart was in so much pain that you would take your own life.
I just hope that you knew that you are loved and would be deeply missed by an uncountable number of people.
You left a legacy.

A huge community has taken a hard hit because of all of this.
But we'll get through it together.
We'll get through it with the strength and grace from our loving Father.
It's the only way.
Because without Christ working in our hearts, this is just too hard to deal with.

We sang a song the other night as we gathered as a community to mourn and pray.
It filled my heart with hope and peace, in the midst of the pain and heartache that I am going through.
In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones he came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave he rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

So now as I and the rest of the community mourns the loss of our dear friend, we will stand strong in the arms of Christ.
As we are filled with sorrow, anger, frustration, guilt, and pain, we will stand together in prayer.
We will move forward in the strength of our Lord, not on our own strength, because really, we have none left.
May Christ be glorified.

As we move forward, and as we continue to grieve and ask questions, this affected community needs to hear in our hearts the words of the Psalmist:

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change
And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.
Psalm 46:1-3

You are incredibly missed.
Dave, I'm at peace knowing that you are now at rest and free from the burdens of this world in the peace and love of our good and loving God.
See you in heaven buddy,
We'll catch up then.

3 comments:

Bec and Jane said...

Nyssa, thanks for what you have written. I feel so much for you, for everyone, for all of us.

Amen, God is our strength and refuge.

XO Bec

Anonymous said...

amen amen amen.
i feel all of this.
i love you nyssa.
more hugs.
lots and lots of hugs.

Andrew Cockell said...

that was very touching...thank you for your words - they mean a lot to me and i know they would have meant a lot to dave