Saturday, July 18, 2009

grace and a monologue

Even though this is the fifth time that I have been working with the LIT program at camp, there are some things that never grow old. Sitting through teachings of creation and the fall year after year, some might think that this would not be so interesting anymore. But each time it is new once again. Specifically the FICS (faithfully improvising the Christian story) session on the Fall.

This is a session that hurts to sit through, but each time I do, God speaks in a new way. It is hard to even begin to think of the pain that you and I have inflicted upon one another, all of creation, and God himself. One of the great tools that FICS uses to demonstrate this, but to also show God's incredible grace, is the music video by Johnny Cash, Hurt. It is a picture of the pain and suffering that he has caused throughout his life, but there are quick images of Christ being nailed to the cross interspersed with the images of his life. Even though he has caused all this pain, and has not always put Christ at the centre, Christ was still crucified for all of us. Following this video up with the song How Deep the Fathers Love For Us, creates for a genuinely powerful, yet humbling experience.

In other reflections from recent times at camp, I have just recently (about an hour ago) just finished presenting a four page monologue from memory. I've never done anything like it before. It is a monologue presented from an angels point of view. Done on the FICS day of Jesus and the cross. The angel spoke of what God has done through Christ for us as humans. It was quite intimidating to learn and to memorize, but it was well worth it. I spent every moment of my hours off in the last week to memorize it. And as I did, God has done a good work in me as I have made these words real in my own life. It was not just a preformance, but it was a transformational experience. It was well worth the time spend memorizing. But I m now overjoyed to have my life back again and have my hours off not be spent memorizing!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

love you. miss you. glad yesterday went well.
sorry i didn't say goodbye!!!!!

Bec and Jane said...

I know I'm oh so late with this, Nyssa but I was soooo glad to hear that you were going to be doing the monologue at LIT this summer!! Yay! I was praying for you and I'm so glad to read that it was a great experience for you with God.

XO